Sunday, November 30, 2008

"I Yam what I yam..."

I love love love Thanksgiving. This year we did Thanksgiving with the Boyds and we're doing Christmas with the Wrights... We figured splitting it up that way and switching every year would be the easiest way since our families aren't both here in the valley.
We went to St. George where my grandparents live. Its beautiful there, but a lot smaller than I remember. Theres no way we were going to ask someone to watch the dogs for us on Thanksgiving weekend, so we did what we had to do... took them :) I know, we've already heard the comments like "thats what kennels are for" and "Board them..." But i've heard too many stories about dogs getting sick and its pretty expensive. So we had a full ride. Zoey and Blue took turns sitting between me and Shauna and sittin on my feet... we were so cramped. But we survived. And JD was thrilled about having 2 dogs in his truck that he loves so much. ( seriously Jd, let us know if we need to come by with a lint roller...)

Grandma Patsy made yams that we're still talking about days later... THEY WERE AWESOME. We're huge candied yams fans, its my favorite part of the meal. And dinner wouldn't be complete without my dad proclaiming "I yam what I yam..." He thinks he's so funny :)Its always fun to get the whole family together. Telling stories, playing games, watching movies, eating. Good times :)On Friday we went to the Mountain Meadow Massacre site which was pretty cool. Look up the story, its pretty interesting. Then the girls watched Twilight :) It was my 2nd time, and i loved it even more.

PATSY'S YAMS

Mix together:

6 med yams boiled and mashed

1 stick real butter

2 eggs

1 1/2 c sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp cinn.
topping;
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. flour
1/2 stick soft butter
1/2 c chopped pecans

Bake at 350 for 1 hour. cover with Marshmellows the last little while that they're in the oven :)

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!!!

2 comments:

Barker said...

Great post! I love J.D.'s look in that pic. We were just talking about Patsy's yams and I'm making her cookies right now. She rocks. This Thanksgiving was one to remember.

Kristin said...

Yams are my favorite too! Our yams weren't quite as exquisite as your aunt's, but delish. I'm so pissed I forgot to bring my camera with us for Thanksgiving. :( I can't believe you guys carpooled with Shauna, JD, AND the dogs. So Brave!